Sunday, November 30, 2008

Mourning the loss of my dear Aurora

Thanksgiving went pretty well. Made the wonderful trek across the river to WI for my family's Thanksgiving. Our schedule was noon in Wisconsin, 4pm back in MN for hubby's family. Great schedule for a small child, but that is a whole other rant. So we finished up lunch and went to drive back and my car's transmission went out, 20 minutes from my parents house. We turned around and drove back to my parent's house in second gear- the only gear that was working. My mom was nice enough to lend me the Suburban so we could continue on our merry way but it was 6pm by the time we arrived at dinner, oh well. Better late then never. And poor daughter complained about being car sick the whole drive down. On the way back, she kept getting upset that we had Grandma's car and we needed to give it back! Poor dear did not get a nap.

I think Rob is having a harder time letting go of the Aurora then I am. A new transmission will cost more then the car is worth! I finally told hubby, there is NO WAY we are getting it fixed. I think it is finally sinking in. It has been a fantastic car, I've had it for almost ten years and it has 225,000 miles on it. I think about the places it has taken me and it is incredible. It has taken me to Door County twice- girl's weekend and anniversary. It has taken me to more funerals then I really care to have gone too: Nikky's Funeral, Grandma's Funeral, and most recently a 12 hour drive out to Montana for my Uncle's funeral. It has always gotten me home safely. Even this time, it got us back to my parents safely.

We will probably wait to buy another car until Rob has found a job. Fortunately, with both of us home, we can make do with one car for a while. We still have Mom's Suburban and my dad really wants us to consider purchasing it. I really don't do that much driving so a Suburban would be fine if we didn't already have the Explorer. I am excited at the idea of car shopping, but hubby will not be doing the price negotiating!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I am sorry for your loss. You are in my prayers =)